Monday, May 4, 2009

A Tidbit on Monday: What Swine Flu Precautions Have You Noticed?

Welcome! This post is a departure from the usual DESIGN content of my blog.  Today and in the future, I plan to post a TIDBIT here and there as it comes about.  I hope you will enjoy whatever it might be.

I attend an Episcopal church. Yesterday, before giving communion to the congregation, which involves receiving the round wafer and then sipping wine from the chalice, my preacher mentioned the swine flu fears. He reminded those who would prefer not to sip from the chalice that they could dip their wafer into the wine instead.  I thought that was interesting.

Then, this morning after my wonderful yet grueling workout, I stopped off at my favorite bakery to treat myself to some decaf coffee mixed with a couple of hits of the cinnamon hazelnut caffeinated coffee. Taped on the wall of the glass cabinet which has warm and delicious blueberry, cranberry, banana nut, chocolate mocha, and chocolate swirl muffins behind it…yes, they were all begging me to take them home but my discipline prevailed this time,  was an 8 1/2 X 11” piece of paper with the following message:  DUE TO OUR CUSTOMERS WORRYING ABOUT CATCHING THE SWINE FLU, WE ARE TAKING OUR EMPLOYEES TEMPERATURES WHEN THEY ARRIVE FOR WORK.  I paused and then read it again! Is this more serious than I am allowing myself to believe?

I am curious as to what type of precautions you have noticed in your area?Please leave a comment and tell me.

BTW: here in Nashville, Tennessee where I live we have had two schools decide to close for a week because one school has two suspected cases of the swine flu (one case was just confirmed) and the other school having one suspected case.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Much ado about a flu that is so not much of a threat if you just wash your hands.

The swine flu virus has spread to 36 states and infected at least 286 people, but the outbreak at this point appears to be milder than initially feared, U.S. officials said Monday, and Mexico declared that the epidemic is "slowing."

Something to put the swine flu outbreak in perspective: The regular seasonal flu has killed more than 13,000 people in the U.S. since January, and kills between 250,000 and 500,000 worldwide annually.

Pat said...

We haven't noticed anyone taking precautions.
Our daughter and two grandchildren spent all day Saturday with us and stayed overnight. Our daughter was quite ill Sunday morning, with flu like symptoms. She flew to Florida for a business meeting a couple of weeks ago. We were concerned she might have picked something up during the flight there and/or back to Missouri. My husband drove her to an urgent care center, where it was determined she has strep throat. The symptoms did give us something to think about.

Wouldn't dipping the wafer into the wine be almost the same as drinking from the cup?

I think this is my first time visiting your blog. I was at Joni's and saw the subject line of this post and was curious.

Anonymous said...

How have they all coped with the loss of their/your Bailey? You mentioned on my blog that you will be going to babysit and (I remembered that I meant to add this question to my comment, and I hit "post" too quickly.) It will feel strange for you Susan, to go for a visit, and he is not there. By the way, I have been reading every word of your great staircase series. Now I know what a Face String is! Please have a wonderful visit with your family, and I hope that your daughter's surgery and recovery is easy.

Cheers.
Sue.

Gayle said...

The only things I've noticed are that our county government and our school district sent out emails that basically recommended to wash hands often and before eating. That's all!

Things That Inspire said...

I was in the grocery store today, and resisted sampling the guacamole and salsa because of germ concerns. But, when at the check out line, the bagging person was coughing up a storm and sniffling and sneezing! Although I am not going overboard on things, just making sure to wash my hands frequently, I was extremely irritated that there was a grocery store employee who was so clearly sick. I would have been annoyed any time of the year, swine flu or not.

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Hey Susan- I haven't seen anything yet. I really think it hit hard in poverty stricken areas. We are able to treat it here, so nothing major so far...but I am still a wee bit concerned. I do have 3 kids in school and you know kids are all over each other!

~Misti

Anonymous said...

I posted the article about Swine Flu Myths because so many people I know and those I work with are overly concerned. I think that people are panicking unnecessarily.

Susan Lang @ Designing Your Dream Home said...

The two suspected cases of H1N1 and one confirmed here in Nashville were actually at two private schools. I was thinking about the bakery/cafe posting the sign about taking employees temperatures each morning and realized the bakery is not too far from one of the schools with a suspected case. Many students stop by for a bagel or muffin on their way to school. That must have been the reason they posted a sign.

I agree with Things That Inspire, whether fear of H1N1 or not, an employee who comes in direct connect with customers should stay home if they are coughing and sneezing!

Anonymous said...

Susan, I need to email you photos of Mark's show from the photographer who was there, but don't have your address. They are awsome! Can't wait for you to see them.
Theresa

Anonymous said...

Susan, I need to email you the photos of Mark's show made by the photographer, but don't have your address. Franny is gone, so I can't get it from her. The pix are awsome. Can't wait for you two to see them!

Susan Lang said...

Tamara, My email is floorplandetails@aol.com your email is full, the emails I have sent keep coming back undeliverable.